Scouting Update - Scouting Restart Safely Guide Now Available!
Friday, August 7, 2020 –As summer draws to a close, Scouting families begin to think about regular meetings and fall activities. The majority of Scouting happens in the local troop, pack, or crew, and restarting an active unit program is essential. After reviewing our operations, and guidance from the State of Ohio and the Commonwealth of Kentucky, we have developed guidelines for units to utilize as they restart Scouting activities this fall. Click this link here for a useful chart that can be used to help guide unit committees in developing plans for meetings, outings, and other unit activities. Please be mindful of this guidance, and the specific guidance of the state or county in which your activity is planned.
For the health and safety of our Scouts, leaders, staff, and the extended community, we have modified many of our council and district activities to allow for a safe, physically distanced experience. We know that these activities are highlights of the Scouting year, and the health and safety of our Scouting family is our top priority.
With safety in mind, a team of volunteers and staff have been developing plans for alternative council and district programs and alternative delivery models when appropriate.
This fall, several exciting activities and trainings will be offered in a modified format.
- Wood Badge: Offered at Camp Friedlander to allow for more physical distancing in training sessions, Wood Badge is the ultimate leadership training for Scouting adults.
- NYLT: National Youth Leadership Training will be offered as a split course held over two weekends at Camp Friedlander with physical distancing in place.
- District Trainings: Trainings such as Baloo or Leader Specific will be held in small groups to meet current guidelines.
- Spook-O-Ree: Plans are being developed for a drive-thru experience at Camp Friedlander. Stay tuned for more information
- Additional programs: Other programs in November and December are also being considered for modified formats to allow for a safe experience. Please stay tuned for further announcements about these exciting programs.
Recognizing that some programs are not easily facilitated in a small group setting, we have determined that some programs will be either postponed or cancelled.
- District wide Cuborees will be postponed until spring of 2021
- District-wide fall Camporees will not be held in 2020
The Dan Beard Council is excited to be able to open Camp Friedlander in a limited capacity to troop, pack, and crew reservations starting August 21, 2020. Guidelines for use can be found on the enclosed chart, and reservations can be made starting August 10, 2020 at 1:00 PM.
We hope you find these resources helpful as you begin planning an exciting program for your Scouts this fall. Please reach out to your District Executive if you have questions or need additional support.