CAMPERSHIP CREDIT APPLICATION
Campership deadline: May 15, 2020
The Dan Beard Council, BSA promotes camping and does not want any Cub Scout, Boy Scout, or Venturer to miss the opportunity to attend a summertime camping program offered by our Council due to financial hardship.
“A Scout is Thrifty.” The Boy Scouts of America and the Dan Beard Council encourage all Scouts to pay their own way to Scouting activities, as this philosophy supports the basic aims of Scouting. However, we realize that some Scouts need a little extra help at times in order to participate. The Campership program is designed to aid Scouting families in these circumstances.
The campership program is funded by donors. These funds are specifically designated by our donors for use in assisting youth registered in the Dan Beard Council to attend Dan Beard Council camps.
We encourage Scouting units and families to help Scouts earn funds for camp. Here are some suggested methods for fundraising:
1. Sell Popcorn and/or Camp Cards! The unit can allocate a portion of its commission to individual salesmen.
2. Organize a fundraising project to specifically assist youth attending camp. Each Scout should be given credit towards camp fees based on the amount of effort they put into it.
3. Ask your chartered partner for support. Perhaps the Scout can perform special service or a work project in return for assistance.
4. Each Scout should be encouraged to save money on their own, e.g., birthday gifts, mowing lawns, shoveling snow, or other odd jobs.
If, after trying all of the above, the unit finds that a Scout still needs financial help, the Dan Beard Council Campership program will attempt to provide assistance. The unit leader or the unit Committee Chair must discreetly work with the family and carefully follow the procedure outlined below:
- Verify with the family that there is a true need. Make sure that all other sources of funds have been exhausted before requesting campership assistance. Campership funds are very limited, and we are not able to meet all requests. We need your help to see that campership dollars are provided to those who most need assistance. Requesting funds for someone who doesn’t truly need it may prevent another deserving Scout from receiving assistance.
- A parent or unit leader must fill out the Campership Application (available in hard copy or online at danbeard.org/CampForms). The comments on each application will be treated as confidential and only members of the Campership Selection Committee will have access to this information. The application must be filled out completely and signed by both the unit leader and the parent requesting assistance. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Applications must be signed and submitted to the Scout Achievement Center no later than Friday, May 15, 2020. Submissions can be made by mail, fax or email.
- Each application will be carefully and objectively reviewed by the committee, based solely on the degree of need as indicated on the form. Please be aware that the committee allows up to 50% funding for each application. A lesser amount may be given, subject to the total number of applications received and amount of funds available, which varies yearly.
- Campership applications will be reviewed and approved by the Campership Committee on or near Wednesday, May 20, 2020.
- Notifications will be emailed to the unit leader listed on the application on or around Friday, May 22, 2020.
- Acceptance of the campership at the notified amount will be automatic. If the youth listed are no longer able to attend camp, the unit leader must notify the Scout Achievement Center as soon as possible.
- For the youth to receive the campership, they must first be registered by paying the down deposit. This deposit does not exceed 50% of the fee, which is the minimum a Campership recipient will have to pay. DO NOT pay in full for a youth who has submitted a Campership application.
- Youth receiving a Campership must be registered by midnight on June 1, 2020 or their Campership will be forfeited.
- If you feel you must deviate from this procedure for any reason, please contact the Outdoor Program Assistant via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this need. Alternate plans may only be approved by the Campership Committee.
- Campership Credits will be applied to each youth by Wednesday, June 3, 2020.
- Camperships are non-refundable and non-transferable if a youth cancels their registration.