CAMP FRIEDLANDER CENTENNIAL
Camp Friedlander has served as home for thousands of Scouts throughout the region since 1919. As we approach the Camp Friedlander Centennial celebration, this site will be updated with the most current plans and activities.
2019 CAMP SEASON – WHERE IT ALL BEGAN
More than 125 Camp Staffers from across Camp Friedlander, Myron Kahn, and Camp Hook converged at the Camp Friedlander Dining Hall to Kick off the Camp Friedlander Centennial Year. Past Camp staff traveled from as far away as Naples, Italy and Seattle, Washington to attend. Representatives from each decade reaching back to the 1950’s were present to share in fellowship and share stories, skits and songs from their respective era. Honored guests included Marc Logemann, past Camp Friedlander Camp Director and Assistant Chief Scout Executive, and Gene Mugrage, who served as the Camp Director in 1973 when Camp Friedlander became the first ever Cub Scout Resident Camp.
A key part of the centennial celebration will be life at summer camp. Plans are being developed to venture back in time to experience camp life during the early days of camp. Vintage games, advancement work, and storytelling will be combined with added features in the camp for future generations. Plans to prepare the original camp grounds for camping and program are being explored.
Several events are being planned as Tentpole Events to mark special aspects of the camps history.
- Camp Staff Reunion, January 2019 – A barbecue fellowship for current and alumni staff members of Friedlander, Myron Kahn and other Dan Beard Council camps. Help us get the word out by spreading the word if you know of a camp staff alumna who is not currently connected to Scouting. Date: Jan. 19, 2019
- Homecoming and Re-dedication, August 23-25, 2019 – Camp Edgar Friedlander was officially dedicated with a special ceremony on August 23, 1919. Open to all Scouters and their families for the weekend,this “homecoming” will feature family style camping at Camp Friedlander with most every program area open for enjoyment. Capping the weekend will be a special re-dedication ceremony.
- Peterloon: On This Ground, October 4-6, 2019 – Peterloon, Dan Beard Council’s signature camporee held at Camp Friedlander, will be the pinnacle of our Celebration of “On This Ground.” Scouts will explore the grounds of Dan Beard Scout Reservation, living the life of Scouts past, present and future. Don’t miss the closing show on Saturday, October 5!
CAMP FRIEDLANDER HOMECOMING AND RE-DEDICATION
Camp Edgar Friedlander was officially dedicated with a special ceremony on August 23, 1919. The camp was open to all Scouters and their families as well as the entire Greater Cincinnati community the weekend of August 23-25, 2019. This “homecoming” featured family-style camping as well as Unit camping at Camp Friedlander with most every program area open for enjoyment. Capping the weekend was a special re-dedication ceremony on Saturday evening. Click the link below to see photos of this fun celebration!
CAMP FRIEDLANDER HISTORY BOOK
Have you ever wondered what it was like to camp at Camp Friedlander in its early days? Or were you one of the Scouts who actually got to experience it?
The Dan Beard Council Camp Staff Alumni Association is collecting stories from current and past campers at Camp Friedlander, and is publishing a history book that will honor the 100 years of camping and Scouting heritage at Camp Friedlander.
If you have a personal experience at Camp Friedlander, we would love to hear from you.
CAMP FRIEDLANDER CENTENNIAL MEMORABILIA
The Centennial Committee has put together some limited Items for sale to commemorate the milestone of Camp Friedlander turning 100 years old. Please check out the store by clicking the link below, and grab some great swag before it is gone. There is very limited stock during summer camp, so secure your gear now!
Some of these Items, such as the Challenge Coin, had a limited run of 100! The next chance to score one will be in 100 years or so. Other items include belt buckles, hoodies, patches and more.
- Historical-themed program areas for 2019 camp sessions
- Centennial-themed Order of the Arrow Conclave
- Commemorative badges and participation patches for Scouts and Scouters
- Commemorative centennial map of Camp Friedlander