JOIN OUR CAMP STAFF
Looking for an amazing summer job? Come spend it with us! If you enjoy working with kids, believe in the Scouting program, and love camp, then the Dan Beard Scout Reservation is a great place to work and play. Each summer we hire over 120 men and women to serve as part of our camp staff. This life-changing opportunity is a great, fun, and rewarding place to be. Imagine living at a camp for the summer and working, playing, and learning in the outdoors. You’ll meet plenty of new friends, some that may stick with you for the rest of your life. You’ll get some great new experiences too as you challenge yourself.
Camp Staff members are given room and board for the summer in either a cabin shared with other camp staff or in a large tent with electricity. Some cabins have air conditioning and high speed internet access. Staff members 15 years of age and older are compensated competitively compared to other camps. Three meals a day are provided, as are many of the amenities of life such as laundry facilities. The camp staff run activities, plan programs, and instruct thousands of campers that come through our summer camps. All staff are part of the Dan Beard Scout Reservation, but there are two camp staffs. The Camp Friedlander staff provide programs for Scouts BSA aged youth (11 through 17) and the Cub World/Challenge Camp staff provide programs for Cub Scout aged youth (7 through 11) for the Cub World program and ages 7 through 15 for the Challenge Camp Program.
Camp Staff applications are now being accepted for the 2020 season! If you have any questions about camp staff, please contact the Outdoor Program Assistant. If you think you would be a positive addition to our camp staff, complete a Camp Staff Application. If you are 14 or 15 years old and would like to be a Counselor-in-Training (CIT) at Camp Friedlander or Cub World, please apply online. More information can also be found in the Camp Friedlander and Cub World CIT Packet which can be downloaded on Camp Forms page here.
2020 HIRING SCHEDULE
- Offers made by September 15th
Area Directors and Office Staff
- Interviews from September 10th through October 15th
- Decision on at least 50% by November 15th and remaining positions decided by December 15th
- Remaining Positions for ADs published on danbeard.org/campstaff by November 15th
General Staff (including CITs)
- Decision communicated within 2 weeks after interview
- 1st round of hiring
- November 15th through December 15th
- 2nd round of hiring
- January 15th through February 15th
- 3rd round of hiring
- February 15th continuing through camp season
AVAILABLE STAFF POSITIONS
Interested in teaching Scouts ages 11-17 in an outdoor environment? Camp Friedlander, the Scouts BSA Camp of the Dan Beard Council, is now hiring camp staff for 2020. Come work in an exciting outdoor environment while you teach Scouts skills that last a lifetime.
- Assist in the operation of camp
- Provide excellent program for Scouts and Scouters ranging from merit badges to open programs
- Lead outdoor education programs for youth and adults
- Make friendships that will last a lifetime
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- Must be willing to live on camp from mid-June to early-August (room and board provided)
- Scouting experience preferred
Several rounds of interviews will be held through the year; the first will be in December. Every new staff member is interviewed by our camp management team to ensure that we only hire the best and to discover what area of camp might be a good fit.
After the interview, you will receive a response letter. If we have found a place for you, congratulations! Sign and return your letter of employment and we’ll follow up later with important employment forms and information on staff orientation.
CAMP STAFF ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
CAMP STAFF RESOURCES
All Camp Staff Resources such as those listed below can be found on our Camp Forms page.
- Available Positions
- Camp Staff Parent Approval Form
- CIT Packet
- CIT Reference Forms